Sunday, March 14, 2010

Glasses, more than meets the eye


As many of you know, I wear glasses because I am nearsighted, meaning I cannot easily see objects that are far away. In order to correct this, I wear glasses that help to bring faraway images to a focus at the retina in the back of my eye, so my brain can receive and interpret them with maximum clarity. Because I am nearsighted, I see images at twenty feet that other people can see at say fifty or sixty feet (I'm not quite sure what my prescription is) away. When images enter my eye they are created at some distance in front of my retina whereas images in the eyes of farsighted people are focused behind the retina. In order to move the focus of images in my eye backward, I need to wear diverging lenses that cause incoming light rays to intersect at a point farther from the source as they diverge (get farther apart by refraction) while coming through the lens, thus they do not meet until they reach a father back location. On the other hand, if I were farsighted, I would have to wear converging lenses that cause rays to intersect closer after leaving the lens as they in a way push the rays of light closer as they are refracted at a smaller angle as they go through the lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment